Edge-impulse-deamon timeout (ESP32-CAM, Raspberrypi)

I am trying to get Edge Impulse working on an ESP32-CAM board connected to a Raspberry Pi. First of all after downloading the firmware bundle, flash_linux.sh couldn’t find the ESP32, so I had to modify the line containing esptool thus:

`python3 -m esptool -p /dev/ttyUSB0 write_flash 0x0 “${SCRIPTPATH}”/firmware_esp32.bin

That appeared to work - the flash process looked like it completed with no errors. However when I start edge-impulse-deamon I get:

[SER] Connecting to /dev/ttyUSB0
[SER] Serial is connected, trying to read config...
[SER] Failed to get info off device Timeout when waiting for >  (timeout: 5000) onConnected

It’s connected to the correct tty port, so I assume that the device is being detected. Is there a low-level way to verify that the firmware uploaded correctly? Any serial commands I can issue to the port to check?

thx

Hello @paket,

For the ESP32 Cam, you need first to modify the firmware’s source code and recompile it (the one from the documentation works for the ESP-EYE only).

Best,

Louis

I just remembered that I have uploaded one version of the firmware that works for the ESP32-CAM (it may be slightly outdated):

Let me know if that helps,

Best,

Louis

Thanks Louis - I’ll give that a try.

Does the default firmware spit anything out the serial port on boot, so I can confirm that it’s been uploaded OK and the USB is good?