Wrong time scaling

Hi,

I am trying to capture gesture data from my smartphone. When I set the recording time to 10s, I get a signal with a length of 5s. No data is lost, it is the time scaling that is wrong. Am I missing something? Or is there a specific setting for this?

Thanks!
David

Hi @jubinson,

Do you have a screenshot of where you are seeing the 5s signal? Is it something that shows up in the Edge Impulse studio?

Also, what phone are you using? I just tried it from my iPhone, and I’m seeing 10s.

Best,

Shawn

Hi Shawn,

Nice to read you just after chatting on LinkedIn :wink:
I am using an iPhone SE 2020.
Here below is a screenshot where the Sample length is set to 10000 ms for all the recordings.
However the recorded signals are 5s long.
The RAW DATA diagram also shows a maximum value just above 5000 ms.

Best,
David

Hi David,

Agreed! I saw your LinkedIn message just as I was reading your post here :slight_smile:

It looks like your phone or the Edge Impulse mobile site physically took fewer samples than when I tried it (342 vs. 609), so I don’t think it’s just a scaling issue. I’ll let the dev team know about to see if we can figure out how that happened.

In the meantime, could you try creating a different project and try capturing again [edit: you only need to try capturing a few samples–no need to do the whole dataset]?

Best,

Shawn

1 Like

Hi Shawn,

I’ve tried again today to capture some samples with my smartphone accelerometer and guess what, everything is now fine!
I have also checked with another phone (which I did not test yesterday) and everything is fine too.

Yesterday I’ve checked that no data was thrown away (good) and then conclude it’s a scaling issue (wrong). As you pointed out it could also be a sampling issue. I have downloaded a .json data from today and found that it contains 611 samples, close to the 609 you’ve mentioned. It would have been very interesting to download the json data from yesterday to see how many samples were in (maybe close to 342), but I have deleted all the data from yesterday (wrong again).

So it seems this problem comes in and out. Louis also told me yesterday he already heard before of this issue. What is worse than having a problem appearing without explanations? Having a problem disappearing without explanation! Right now it’s “solved” for me, but it can or can’t happen again. In the former case I will let you know.

Best,
David

1 Like

Glad to hear it’s working! It does seem like an odd bug that’s difficult to track down. I’ve let the dev team know about it (and as you mentioned, Louis noticed it popping up sometimes, too). Please let me know if you see it happen again!