Webinar - PERFECTING FACTORY 5.0 WITH EDGE-POWERED AI

Dear participants,

Here is a forum thread to help you setting up your Jetson Nano before joining the PERFECTING FACTORY 5.0 WITH EDGE-POWERED AI Webinar.

Feel free to ask any question or issue you may encounter.

Regards,

Louis

The Webinar instructions request completing the Continuous motion recognition tutorial before the webinar. This tutorial expects an accelerometer on the attached device, but the Jetson Nano does not have a built-in accelerometer.

Is there another tutorial that will run on the Jetson Nano that provides comparable experience?

Hello @BertK,

I just noticed the instructions has not been updated. This will be the instructions (I’m contacting sparkfun now so they can update this field, thanks for the reminder):

Before watching the workshop:

Please make sure you have installed all the requirements on your Jetson Nano board before joining the workshop:

SETUP YOUR JETSON NANO

Optional: You can also install the standalone Edge Impulse CLI to ease the upload of your dataset to Edge Impulse Studio.

If you have any questions regarding the setup, please ask them on Edge Impulse forum dedicated thread.

Regards,

Louis

I’m Jose. I’m preparing everything for the Workshop.

When I try to install the dependencies by running:

wget -q -O - https://cdn.edgeimpulse.com/build-system/jetson.sh | bash

I get an error installing npm packages.
I tried with a fresh ubutu installation without upgrading packages and upgrading packages.

Can you help me with this, please?

Thanks in advance for your help.

Hello Jose,

Sorry for my late reply, I will try a fresh installation on the Jetson Nano later today.
According to your logs, it seems to be an issue coming from sharp@0.29.1.
An other user has the same issue: Error installing client on jetson nano : Error: sharp@0.29.1
I will try to upgrade manually either sharp or node, and let you know how it goes.

Regards,

Louis

Hello @jgomezlo,

I just tried with a fresh installation and I am having the same issue.
I’m investigating…

Regards,

Louis

@jgomezlo

I’m unfortunately without a Jetson Nano, but one quick fix would be to install the previous Linux CLI version:

sudo npm install edge-impulse-linux@1.2.10 

I’ll update the Jetson Nano script for now, while @louis and I are figuring out what’s wrong here.

Hello @jgomezlo,

Also posted the same reply here: Error installing client on jetson nano : Error: sharp@0.29.1

It now should work with the following command:

wget -q -O - https://cdn.edgeimpulse.com/firmware/linux/jetson.sh | bash

We updated the script (and the documentation), just make sure to use this url and not the previous one.

For your understanding, the issue came from an outdate version of vips (previously vips-8.10.5 and now upgraded to vips-8.12.1). Sorry for the troubles. Let me know if you still have issues.

Regards,

Louis

Hello Louis,

I could install the software with the updated script.

Thanks,

José

1 Like

Good afternoon,

I’m reading I need an accelerometer and the Jetson-Nano is not supported for the Continous motion recognition tutorial. How do I have to proceed to complete the pre-work task?

Thanks in advance,

José

Hello @jgomezlo,

I asked Sparkfun to update the “Before Watching the Workshop” section here: https://www.sparkfun.com/perfecting_factory_5_with_edge
So we won’t use the continuous motion classifier as it was indicated previously.

Instead, we will focus on computer vision and object detection during the workshop, so feel free to have a look at this tutorial if you have an external camera available (although not mandatory as we will see how to do together): https://docs.edgeimpulse.com/docs/object-detection

I am finalizing the workshop materials, I will share the full written version of the workshop during the live stream.

Regards,

Louis

Hello Louis,

FYI - The instructions on the Sparkfun web site appear to have been updated, but the emails they are sending out still say “Before the workshop, … complete the Continuous motion recognition tutorial…” I have received at least two of these emails, one of them today. This may be causing the confusion on whether the tutorial is a prerequisite or not.

Regards,
Bert.

Hello @BertK,

Thanks for reporting it, I am checking with Sparkfun.

Regards,

Louis

@BertK,

There is indeed an error, Sparkfun will send an updated email.

Regards,

Louis

Hello there,
I could successfully do the

wget -q -O - https://cdn.edgeimpulse.com/firmware/linux/jetson.sh | bash

command, but as soon as I do login with edge-impulse-linux
I get the error:

user@localhost:~$ edge-impulse-linux --disable-microphone --clean
Edge Impulse Linux client v1.3.0
? What is your user name or e-mail address (edgeimpulse.com)? xxxxxxxxxxxx
? What is your password? [hidden]

Failed to initialize linux tool Error code was not 0: Probing devices...

W: [pulseaudio] core-util.c: Failed to open configuration file '/home/user/.config/pulse//daemon.conf': Permission denied
W: [pulseaudio] daemon-conf.c: Failed to open configuration file: Permission denied
Failed to start device monitor!

user@localhost:~$

Is this still correct or a real problem? My board does not show up in my devices in Edge Impulse.

Cheers,

Nico

Sorry, solved it already.
The .config folder somewhat had root:root as user rights, dunno why.

cd ~
sudo chown -R user:user .config
mkdir pulse

solved it (my user is called “user” hence the username and usergroup in the chown command)

After that:

user@localhost:~$ edge-impulse-linux --disable-microphone --clean
Edge Impulse Linux client v1.3.0
? What is your user name or e-mail address (edgeimpulse.com)? xxxxxxxxxxxxx
? What is your password? [hidden]

[SER] Using camera HD camera starting...
[SER] Connected to camera
[WS ] Connecting to wss://remote-mgmt.edgeimpulse.com
[WS ] Connected to wss://remote-mgmt.edgeimpulse.com
? What name do you want to give this device? xxxxx
[WS ] Device "xxxxx" is now connected to project "xxxxxxx"
[WS ] Go to https://studio.edgeimpulse.com/studio/xxxxxxx/acquisition/training to build your machine learning model!

everything worked.
Thanks a lot and looking forward to the workshop!

Cheers,

Nico

1 Like

Hello @nmaas87,

I discovered that issue last week too. You got the right reflex, I did the same thing to solve this issue.
I added it to the written version of the tutorial I’m working on but I’m also updating our documentation now too. Thanks for spotted it too!

This issue only happens with the 2GB developer kit, not the regular one. It is probably something in the OS dedicated version for this target.

2 Likes