Thingy 53 BMI270 IMU sensor integration

Hi,
I am currently engaged in the development and testing of machine learning models utilizing the Thingy 53 board. However, I have encountered an issue with the board’s BMI270 IMU sensor, which appears to be unsupported by the Edge Impulse Thingy 53 repository (GitHub - edgeimpulse/firmware-nordic-thingy53).

After conducting a thorough review of the repository, it appears that the Edge Impulse Thingy 53 application only provides support for the magnetometer and accelerometer sensors, and not the IMU sensor. As such, It would be great to have support for both the gyroscope and accelerometer data from the BMI270 IMU sensor.

Thank you for your attention.

1 Like

Hi @keremsar30

Welcome to the forum!

You are correct, the Thingy53 has a variety of sensors and a design decision was made to choose this one for our firmware.

To use a different sensor would require forking and modifying our firmware repository to use this sensor. Which of course you are free to do as it is open source.

Hope this answers your query, and if you do decide to try modifying please let us know if you encounter any problems.

Best

Eoin

1 Like

@keremsar30 I agree with you. The Github page suggests:

This repository contains the Edge Impulse firmware for the Nordic Semiconductor Thingy:53 development board that includes many different sensors. 

But as you have found the Edge Impulse firmware does not support the Thingy53 IMU.

@Eoin I suggest the Github page be modified so that users do not waste their time]

I hereby suggest the following change:

This repository contains the Edge Impulse firmware for the Nordic Semiconductor Thingy:53 development board that includes many different sensors but does not support the Thingy53 IMU. Yet :)
2 Likes

Hi @MMarcial

Ah yes I agree the wording here is confusing.

We should be more explicit in the sensors we select for our firmware. Let me capture this in an issue for the team.

Best

Eoin

I have successfully implemented the BMI270 sensor’s accelerometer and gyroscope into the Thingy53 firmware.You can find .hex files in the link (BMI270-Thingy53-Firmware – Google Drive). If anyone wants to see or developed more, I can share the source code.
Additionally, I have also integrated the MAG + IMU option, which enables the acquisition of nine different data points simultaneously.

Regards,
KEREM

2 Likes

Can I see the developed code? My email is: iarakis@kaixo.com Thanks

Hi Kerem,
I’m working on this too right now so would be happy to contribute. Have you considered hosting the source on github?