Recording audio

Hi everyone ,

New user here and I searched this board for information about recording audio samples related to building a dataset.

Goal for my first project is to recognize the word ’ help ’ when my old mother falls on the floor of her appartment and then trigger some wireless alarm.
I’m expecting to need multiple mic’s/devices listening in different rooms, maybe some kind of mesh set up.

If I use a recorder (like the tascam-dr40x) to record audio samples from her appartment (like background noise) and her saying the word ’ help ’ in different situations (loud / soft / far away / close / tv on / shower ect) and later use a different quality mic on a mcu board… will this work ?

what would be the best way going forward ?

Hi @BoRRoZ, welcome! (I think I remember your username from the TTN forums by the way :slight_smile: ).

Yes, the normalization step that happens in the signal processing pipeline will normalize most of this (here’s some background), just make sure that you use a microphone on the MCU with proper gain, because loudness can make a difference (or do another normalization step beforehand).

Regarding “help” - this might not be an ideal word due to a high number of false positives. Something with more syllables (“BoRRoZ help”) would be more reliable.

2 Likes

Hi Jan tnx, yes that’s me.

OK so in an optimal situation you should record the trigger words with the same type of mic used on the MCU board ?
The problem I forsee is that the quality of these mics are bad in comparison to the devices used for recording.

Well… I don’t know if I can learn my old mother other trigger words then ‘help help’ :slight_smile:

anyway… I hope to learn and build a lot with these new techniques

cheers

So audio data typically normalizes well between microphones, I do most of my recording on mobile phone then deploy to device. But test it early.

guess have to dip my toes in the water then… tnx

3 Likes

It’s Kingsday in the netherlands… a good moment to continue my ‘fight’ installing CLI under win 10 :sweat_smile:

cli-2

help please :scream: I’m stuck

I try to install CLI on WIN 10 pro

npm installed
node.js installed
disabled firewall when starting

and everytime stuck at the same point ''this lib is no longer supported ’
any tips :innocent:

Hi @BoRRoZ,

Those are just warnings about deprecated packages, your CLI should be installed based on your logs.
Can you run edge-impulse-daemon in the terminal?

Aurelien

Hi Aurelien

my mistake… it just seems to work :sweat_smile:

tnx !

1 Like

Sun is shining
Software’s working
Hardware arrived

:cowboy_hat_face:

4 Likes

I will try it on this one

2 Likes

@BoRRoZ Awesome, looking forward to see some TTN+Edge Impulse magic!

1 Like

still working on the toolchain… hard and soft

mounting OpenMV Cam H7 + on a desktop suspension scissor mic boom arm :sunglasses:

2 Likes

Adjustable Mic / Cam Stand
- https://www.aliexpress.com/item/1005001304364832.html

safety first :crazy_face:

2 Likes

Hi BoRRoz cool project, what results did you get with using training samples from the audio recorder and then running on a different device?

Hi Pete , actually, I didn’t even started (except buying some stuff) :cowboy_hat_face:

Busy finishing my new workshop and another project, and mainly, catching up reading.
I have many ideas using this new technology, So after the summer … yeah !

(I’m very curious about power consumption for example)

btw …compliments for the edge impulse FB page maintainers… always very interesting articles !

1 Like