Problems with FireBeetle ESP32

Hi. I am trying to setup a FireBeetle ESP32, but I am getting this error:

[SER] Could not find any devices connected over serial port

I have downloaded and installed the esp-idf-v4.4.2 package, and I have run the flash.mac.command already.

I have used both the daemon and the data forwarder. FYI, the board is recognized on my serial port, and also on Arduino. But I am stuck, unfortunately, to this error message.

I also tested an ESP-32 Cam and get this error message:

[SER] Serial is connected, trying to read config…
[SER] Failed to get info off device Timeout when waiting for > (timeout: 5000) onConnected

Any ideas on what could be wrong?

The firmware has been correctly build and uploaded, but I am not able to get ANY communication from my devices when I try to connect with Edge Impulse. FYI, I have tried multiple boards, so I can be sure that this is not a board or cable issue.

I am not sure why this error occurs. I have followed exactly the documentation steps, and repeated them again and again, with the same results. Every time the builds are done precisely, but every time Edge Impulse terminal can’t see the boards.

FYI, when I open the Serial monitor via Arduino, I see the following error:

assert failed: EiFlashMemory::EiFlashMemory(uint32_t) flash_memory.cpp:77 (partition != NULL)

After the error is thrown, the board reboots again. I have searched about this, but didn’t find any info.

Please help!

I have also tried the WebUSB, but I am getting the same results. Can’t connect on FireBeetle, and ESP32 Cam AI Thinker, with latest firmware and drivers installed.

Small progress: for some unknown reason, my FireBeetle got connected ONCE using the WebUSB method. I managed to record data (although the result was completely empty), but while trying it for a second time, it failed to connect. I have repeated the process a few dozen times (changing ports, code, etc), but I couldn’t make it to connect again.

I am with MacOS Monterey 12.2.1, Chrome 106.0.5249.103 (Official Build) (x86_64), latest Edge Impulse CLI, and esp-idf-v4.4.2 package installed.

Ok, there is certainly a problem with the Edge Impulse software. It cannot recognize the FireBeetles, at least the latest ones.

I have tested this with the FireBeetle ESP32-E V1.0 (USB-C), and it does not work (see below). (FYI the ESP32-E V1.0 is a more recent purchase)

With the same settings, cables, ports, etc. I have tested the FireBeetle ESP32 V4.0 (micro USB), and it works.

Is it possible for someone to have a look at this from Edge Impulse?

My guess is that the flash script does not work on the new FireBeetle for some reason. Perhaps memory, or some other setting? Has anyone got a suggestion for me?

Hi @stavdee,

I just tested my ESP32-CAM, and it was able to connect using the Edge Impulse CLI. I used macOS Monterey 12.6, the latest Edge Impulse CLI (1.14.11), and the latest ESP32 firmware. Please note that we officially support the ESP-EYE, but not other ESP32 boards, so I don’t know how much help we’ll ultimately be with the FireBeetle.

@AIWintermuteAI may have some additional insights into those error messages.

Thank you for your reply @shawn_edgeimpulse

I have to reiterate two things:

• I have already tried the officially supported ESP32-CAM AI Thinker, actually I have multiple of those, and have tried different versions too (also changed bunch of cables, adaptors, computers). But it cannot connect, either via terminal or WebUSB. I always get:
    Failed to get info off device Timeout when waiting for > (timeout: 5000) onConnected

• I have tried the previous FireBeetle and it connects ok ( FireBeetle ESP32 V4.0 (micro USB). It is with the FireBeetle version FireBeetle ESP32-E V1.0 (USB-C) that I can’t get it to work.

My problem here is that I have purchased a bunch of ESP32 CAM AI Thinker and FireBeetle ESP32-E V1.0 (USB-C) that I was planning to use in a workshop, but no solution whatsoever works. I have been trying the last 5 days with no luck.

You can imagine how frustrating this is. I think the only solution at the moment is to ditch Edge Impulse as a platform that we can introduce to our students and participants unless there is a solid solution

Two quick notes @stavdee – The ESP32-CAM is not an officially supported board. Only the ESP-EYE is. They are slightly different.

Secondly, have a look at this link, perhaps it is useful? How to run the Edge Impulse ESP-EYE firmware on FireBeetle ESP32

Hope that helps!

I am super confused. @davidtischler_edgeim @shawn_edgeimpulse

How come then the boards I am referring to here are included in the website, under the page: officially-supported-mcu-targets/espressif-esp32, with link: Espressif ESP-EYE (ESP32) - Edge Impulse Documentation.
You may find the image of FireBeetle, and a mention of AI Thinker as well.

So I am wondering, have these devices been set up with Edge Impulse or not? If you are saying that these boards cannot be used with Edge Impulse, how come you post about it?

In addition, on Edge Impulse GitHub, it is claimed that the software works on other ESP32 devices too.

“While the script is mainly tested with ESP-EYE, other ESP32-based development boards will work too.”

Hello @stavdee,

The ESP-EYE provided firmware works out of the box.
For the FreeBeetle board, I do not have that board so I cannot test and I agree that the documentation is somehow confusing. Let me check with @AIWintermuteAI if it is supposed to work out of the box or if you need to change some parameter before recompiling it.
For the other boards, you will need to change a couple of parameters and recompile the firmware locally (see “There are other camera enabled development boards based on ESP32, which can use Edge Impulse firmware after applying certain changes”.

Best,

Louis

1 Like

May I know what are these “couple of parameters”? Because I have tested every advice I could find online thrice, with no success.

Also, just FYI, I have also tested on a brand new ESP-EYE, and guess what… Edge Impulse does not work.

[SER] Serial is connected, trying to read config...
[SER] Failed to get info off device Timeout when waiting for > (timeout: 5000) onConnected

Hello @stavdee,

FireBeetle got connected ONCE using the WebUSB method. I managed to record data (although the result was completely empty), but while trying it for a second time, it failed to connect.

I have also tested on a brand new ESP-EYE, and guess what… Edge Impulse does not work.

This two notes make me think it could also be a serial issue could you try with another USB cable or an other USB port maybe?

Best,

Louis