PI 4 with pi-Cam V2 setup issue

Hello, I’m getting the below error when running “edge-impulse-linux --disable-microphone” command on a Raspberry PI 4 with connected PI Camera V2,

pi@pi4:~ $ edge-impulse-linux --disable-microphone
Edge Impulse Linux client v1.2.11
Failed to initialize linux tool Error code was not 0: Probing devices…
[0:10:44.480782972] [998] INFO Camera camera_manager.cpp:293 libcamera v0.0.0+3156-f4070274
Failed to start device monitor!

I tested the camera with the below command and got the expected 5 seconds live stream on the terminal,
pi@pi4:~ $ libcamera-hello

I use PI4 in headless mode and went trough all suggested steps in the below link,

Any idea how could I fix this issue.
Thanks.

Have you tried to reinstall the gstreamer packages? Here is the repository with the instructiones to install: https://github.com/PhysicsX/Gstreamer-on-embedded-devices

Thank you Isaac, after Gstreamer installation, I couldn’t run the suggested Hello World test application on my setup. I’ll try fixing those issues and let you know the results.

I managed to reinstall the Gstreamer package but still the same error.

Problem solved by switching to the older version of OS “Buster”, instead of the latest one “Bullseye”.

which version of buster do you use? with the newest version of buster we arent able to connect to edge impulse with the command ‘edge-impulse-linux’.

I used the one in the below link:

https://downloads.raspberrypi.org/raspios_armhf/images/raspios_armhf-2021-05-28/

Hi, we’re investigating this issue. There’s a change in how gstreamer video sources work in Bullseye, and trying to pin down exactly what we need to fix on our end.

Hi, we’ve pushed v1.3.0 of the Edge Impulse for Linux tools which fixes this issue. You can update via:

sudo npm update -g edge-impulse-linux

:partying_face:

Hi,

I also have the same issue, and I’m running the following:

“Raspbian GNU/Linux 11 (bullseye)”
Linux raspberrypi 5.10.63-v7l+ #1459 SMP Wed Oct 6 16:41:57 BST 2021 armv7l GNU/Linux

# edge-impulse-camera-debug
Failed to initialize linux tool Error code was not 0: Probing devices…

[931:29:44.557623613] [17855] INFO Camera camera_manager.cpp:293 libcamera v0.0.0+3156-f4070274
Failed to start device monitor!

# edge-impulse-camera-debug -V

Hi @cristovao.cordeiro,

Please check:

I’m giving a try to the Lite OS version now and will keep you posted in the other post.

Aurelien

I have the same issude with the OS Lite version. It looks like some packages related to camera management are missing in this version. Can you try with the default (full) OS version and let us know?

Aurelien

I don’t have physical access to the RPi at the moment, so I’ve instead done a full upgrade + installation of a GUI (LXDE), and the issue remains.

@khalil seems to have the same headless setup and @aurel was also able to reproduce the issue. Is there an official channel through which we can push this as a bug?

@janjongboom can we add this as a bug somewhere? The GitHub repos don’t seem to have much activity so I’m wondering if they are the right place for raising this issue

Hi @cristovao.cordeiro,

Raspberry Pi 4 is supported using the default/full Rasbperry Pi OS. With the full version, the command gst-device-monitor-1.0 should work even without a camera connected to the hardware. I would suggest reinstalling the full version from a clean SD Card.

If you really need the OS Lite, the gstreamer community might help to pinpoint the missing dependencies from the Lite version.

Aurelien