PDM.h failing to load when deploying model

Hello, I’m running into an issue that results in an “Failed to start PDM!” message when I try to upload a completed model to an Arduino Nano 33 BLE Sense in the Arduino IDE.

I’ve tried a couple of different things so far based off of problems I’ve seen others have on similar issues, but continue to get the same error. I’ve tried;

  • Reverting Mbed OS to 1.1.6, 1.3.0 and a few other versions
  • Deploying the model from both Mac and Windows
  • Importing a pre-existing model based on the same training data as a new project

I’ve also tried to deploy the model directly to the nano and that seems to work, but there are additional components I’m hoping to attach to the nano so I would prefer to work in Arduino IDE.

It’s also worth mentioning that this is an Aruduino Nano 33 BLE sense lite, if there is potential that that would cause any issues.

07:55:12.461 → Edge Impulse Inferencing Demo
07:55:12.461 → Inferencing settings:
07:55:12.461 → Interval: 0.49 ms.
07:55:12.461 → Frame size: 1024
07:55:12.461 → Sample length: 64 ms.
07:55:12.461 → No. of classes: 3
07:55:12.461 → Failed to start PDM!

Project ID:

Context/Use case:
I’m a wildlife biologist with limited programming experience, but I’m hoping to use an ML model to detect bird presence based on their calls. The goal of the project is to continuously record audio in the field and record the times when focus species (Snow Goose and Mallard) are detected to an SD card.


This might be a sampling freq issue. See this.

Thank you! This fixed it perfectly