Nicla Vision how to reset to Original Arduino Firmware (after using EI firmware)

Hi there, looks like I’ve killed the Wifi firmware on my Nicla Vision board by uploading the Edge Impulse firmware. Now it won’t connect to Wifi. I can’t update the Wifi firmware using the updater sketch and it also throws an error when trying to format the partitions: "Error formatting WiFi partition. " Can somebody help me getting the factory firmware back? thx

Hi @robertkovax

Did you try pressing the reset button twice first on the Vision to put it into boot mode? This guide should help with resetting the vision:

The Nicla Vision is an electrostatic-sensitive device, so please take care when handling.

Best

Eoin

My board is working (kind of), I can program it with the Arduino IDE, however no Wifi firmware is awailable (this sits on a separate partition on the storage, if I understand well). I’m not sure if the above tutorial would help me with installing the wifi firmware? What exactly gets overwritten when uploading an EI firmware and how to get back the factory Arduino firmware?

1 Like

@robertkovax

Ok just checked on the arduino forum and they dont have the firmware listed for the nicla vision just the me. Checking with our embedded team to see if the steps are the same:

Will post in here once confirmed.

Eoin

Hi @robertkovax

Did you also ask this question on the Arduino forum or git repo, can you please share a link if you did? Thanks!

Best

Eoin

hi @robertkovax

You can try to upload this example from the arduino IDE to recover your wifi:

Best

Eoin

Hi @Eoin, thank you for looking into this. I’ve tried the WiFiFirmwareUpdater, however did not work: “Failed to mount the filesystem containing the WiFi firmware.Usually that means that the WiFi firmware has not been installed yet or was overwritten with another firmware.”

The QSPIFReadPartitions example says: “Looking for Partitions on the Flash Memory… MBR Not Found Flash Memory doesn’t have partitions.”

The QSPIFormat also fails: “Error formatting WiFi partition. Error formatting OTA partition”

I’ve posted this on the arduino forum, however no answer yet: Wifi firmware not found - Nicla Vision - Arduino Forum

1 Like

[solved] What finally helped downgrading the Arduino Mbed OS Nicla Boards library from v3.5.4 to v2.8.0. With this version I was able to flash the missing WiFi firmware using the WiFi updater sketch and was able to connect to WiFi without any problems.

P.S. After this initial success, I was curious, and updated the boards library back to the latest 3.5.4 version and run the WiFi updater again. Firmware flashing was successful, however, the board was not connecting again… So, this time I downgraded to 3.0.0, uploaded the firmware, and it worked again! Then tried 3.3.0, that din’t work…

P.P.S.: I’m pretty sure it was not because of the EI firmware flash.

2 Likes