Looking to monitor outdoor audio. Shouldn't be this hard

Seeing great possibilities with EI after reviewing this documentation: Tutorial
Purchased a Nano 33 BLE Sense Rev2 after noting it was well suited to real-time audio.
HOWEVER, it has no Wi-Fi.
I have outdoor IP cameras that can be monitored via RTSP stream.
I cannot find any method to feed EI with this.
Outdoor microphones could be an option, but it seems audio is only ‘ingestible’ via built-in mics on supported devices?
I’m admittedly a novice at this but willing to lean and welcome any ideas.

1 Like

Hi @Gigcity

You should look at the many esp32 options that have wifi, they range in price from 5-100+ depending on what level of battery casing and mic / camera you want.

And also support the beginner friendly arduino based ide.

Best

Eoin

Much appreciate the reply. I’ll explore those options.

Hopefully, I purchased the supported device.
ESP32-S3-EYE
Please confirm, as I’ve had issues adding it to Edge Impulse.
Thank you.

1 Like

its correct Marcello has a nice guide you can follow:

Best

Eoin

To confirm, the EYE32-S3-EYE is a directly supported device in EI?

Thank you for the article link. Had previously skipped it saying that was specific to keyword versus environmental sounds but would imagine it can be adopted for the latter.

1 Like

Hi @Gigcity

Yes but you will need to follow the guide above to configure.

Best

Eoin

Unfortunately, the ESP32-S3-EYE has known issues.
“ESP32-S3-EYE does not have a USB-to-UART bridge, which may cause a problem: If the program flashed onto the board keeps the chip rebooting, you cannot flash more programs onto the board.”

I’m working through this now and hope to resolve it.
Flashing the EI firmware (or any firmware) puts the device into a non-recognizable mode via USB. It’s frustrating and unique to this version of the S3.

Hello,

Please keep us up to date on your progress! The ESP32-S3-EYE is the more “current” version of the ESP32-EYE and I’m really surprised that no one from Edge Impulse is stepping in to assist more.

Have you been able to determine any general idea of what might be going wrong?

Although others report this behavior in other forums, I’ve not seen a solid solution. My gut tells me it’s not an issue with the device, but rather something I’m missing. The way this handles USB is different than most. Documentation is not complete specific to the default firmware restoration.

If anyone is interested, here are the results of flash after erasing.
While it looks successful, unplugging it (or resetting) results in a non-operational non-recognized by USB device. (solid green LED, no activity on LCD screen).

C:\Espressif\frameworks\esp-idf-v5.2.1>esptool.py --chip ESP32-S3 --port COM3 --baud 460800 write_flash -z 0x0 esp32-s3-eye-v2.2-firmware-v0.2.0-en.bin
esptool.py v4.7.0
Serial port COM3
Connecting…
Chip is ESP32-S3 (QFN56) (revision v0.1)
Features: WiFi, BLE, Embedded PSRAM 8MB (AP_3v3)
Crystal is 40MHz
MAC: 34:85:18:8c:44:20
Uploading stub…
Running stub…
Stub running…
Changing baud rate to 460800
Changed.
Configuring flash size…
Flash will be erased from 0x00000000 to 0x00066fff…
Compressed 418768 bytes to 61514…
Wrote 418768 bytes (61514 compressed) at 0x00000000 in 3.2 seconds (effective 1060.2 kbit/s)…
Hash of data verified.

Leaving…
Hard resetting via RTS pin…

Hi @Gigcity

Checking back again on the mentions of S3 in our forum / docs we do have community support documentation on the seeed xiao esp32 sense, the steps taken by Marcello have been described in the SEEED documentation here.

The firmware wont work but the arduino library will, and you should be able to follow along to get your board working:

Best

Eoin

Fantastic!
I’ll check this out and truly appreciate the additional information.

1 Like