Issue with Cmake for the edge-impulse-standalone

Issue with Cmake for the edge-impulse-standalone

I have been following the instructions for https://docs.edgeimpulse.com/docs/running-your-impulse-ecm3532 intending to eventually deploy other (non-impulse) C++ libraries on the ETA compute ecm3532 AI Sensor Board.

After running the cmake .. command I am met with the following error:

C:\Users\andre\Documents\Masters\Engineering Project\EDGE IMPULSE\example-standalone-inferencing-ecm3532\Applications\edge-impulse-standalone\build>cmake …
– Building for: Visual Studio 16 2019
– The C compiler identification is MSVC 19.29.30038.1
– The CXX compiler identification is MSVC 19.29.30038.1
– The ASM compiler identification is GNU
– Found assembler: C:/Program Files (x86)/GNU Arm Embedded Toolchain/10 2020-q4-major/bin/arm-none-eabi-gcc.exe
– Detecting C compiler ABI info
– Detecting C compiler ABI info - failed
– Check for working C compiler: C:/Program Files (x86)/Microsoft Visual Studio/2019/Community/VC/Tools/MSVC/14.29.30037/bin/Hostx64/x64/cl.exe
– Check for working C compiler: C:/Program Files (x86)/Microsoft Visual Studio/2019/Community/VC/Tools/MSVC/14.29.30037/bin/Hostx64/x64/cl.exe - broken
CMake Error at C:/Program Files/CMake/share/cmake-3.20/Modules/CMakeTestCCompiler.cmake:66 (message):
The C compiler

"C:/Program Files (x86)/Microsoft Visual Studio/2019/Community/VC/Tools/MSVC/14.29.30037/bin/Hostx64/x64/cl.exe"

is not able to compile a simple test program.

It fails with the following output:

Change Dir: C:/Users/andre/Documents/Masters/Engineering Project/EDGE IMPULSE/example-standalone-inferencing-ecm3532/Applications/edge-impulse-standalone/build/CMakeFiles/CMakeTmp

Run Build Command(s):C:/Program Files (x86)/Microsoft Visual Studio/2019/Community/MSBuild/Current/Bin/MSBuild.exe cmTC_4dcfd.vcxproj /p:Configuration=Debug /p:Platform=x64 /p:VisualStudioVersion=16.0 /v:m && Microsoft (R) Build Engine version 16.10.2+857e5a733 for .NET Framework
Copyright (C) Microsoft Corporation. All rights reserved.

Microsoft (R) C/C++ Optimizing Compiler Version 19.29.30038.1 for x64
  Copyright (C) Microsoft Corporation.  All rights reserved.
  cl /c /Wall /WX- /diagnostics:column /O2 /D "CMAKE_INTDIR=\"Debug\"" /D _MBCS /Gm- /MD /GS /fp:precise /Zc:wchar_t /Zc:forScope /Zc:inline /Fo"cmTC_4dcfd.dir\Debug\\" /Fd"C:\Users\andre\Documents\Masters\Engineering Project\EDGE IMPULSE\example-standalone-inferencing-ecm3532\Applications\edge-impulse-standalone\build\CMakeFiles\CMakeTmp\Debug\libcmTC_4dcfd.pdb" /external:env:EXTERNAL_INCLUDE /external:W4 /Gd /TC /errorReport:queue  -mcpu=cortex-m3 -mthumb -fno-exceptions -ffunction-sections -fdata-sections -Wno-unused-variable -nostartfiles -Wno-unused-parameter -Wno-parentheses -Wno-unused-function -ggdb -fno-common -fmessage-length=0 -std=gnu99 "C:\Users\andre\Documents\Masters\Engineering Project\EDGE IMPULSE\example-standalone-inferencing-ecm3532\Applications\edge-impulse-standalone\build\CMakeFiles\CMakeTmp\testCCompiler.c"
cl : command line error D8021: invalid numeric argument '/Wno-unused-variable' [C:\Users\andre\Documents\Masters\Engineering Project\EDGE IMPULSE\example-standalone-inferencing-ecm3532\Applications\edge-impulse-standalone\build\CMakeFiles\CMakeTmp\cmTC_4dcfd.vcxproj]

CMake will not be able to correctly generate this project.
Call Stack (most recent call first):
C:/Users/andre/Documents/Masters/Engineering Project/EDGE IMPULSE/example-standalone-inferencing-ecm3532/Platform/ECM3532/M3/CMakeLists.txt:4 (project)
CMakeLists.txt:20 (include)

Configuring incomplete, errors occurred!
See also “C:/Users/andre/Documents/Masters/Engineering Project/EDGE IMPULSE/example-standalone-inferencing-ecm3532/Applications/edge-impulse-standalone/build/CMakeFiles/CMakeOutput.log”.
See also “C:/Users/andre/Documents/Masters/Engineering Project/EDGE IMPULSE/example-standalone-inferencing-ecm3532/Applications/edge-impulse-standalone/build/CMakeFiles/CMakeError.log”.

Any help is welcome, the issue seems to be that msvc is used as the linker/compiler, I have installed gcc and g++ and set them to be used as the CC= and CXX= environment variables, but the msvc is still used.

I have included screenshots of my environment variables targeting the CC= and CXX= variables and my path variable. Any help with this issue would be very welcome

@ando20 Could you try setting the paths in the CMakeLists.txt file? Maybe this:

set(CMAKE_C_COMPILER C:\path\to\arm-none-eabi-gcc)
set(CMAKE_CXX_COMPILER C:\path\to\arm-none-eabi-g++)

Not too well versed with CMake on Windows, but this at least is how you can always override on Linux.

Hi @janjongboom thank you for the quick reply, I have tried that method but it has not worked, I edited the line below the comment:

#Below line should point to CMakeList of project base directory(freeertos directory)
to point to the \Platform\ECM3532\M3 directory is this necessary?

Ah, so I’ve been diving into this a bit more, and the ECM3532 does not allow you to override the compiler like this, as this is later overwritten by Platform/ECM3532/M3/ECM35xx_toolchain.cmake. The best option would be to make sure C:/Program Files (x86)/GNU Arm Embedded Toolchain/10 2020-q4-major/bin is in your PATH, and from everything I can see it will then find the compiler…