Help with error when running classify.py on PI

I was wondering if someone could help with an error I get when attempting to run my model on a Pi Zero for the first time

I’ve previously created my model using a Pi 3b, and ran classify.py successfully.

I’m setting up the PI Zero W for the first time, with a fresh install of Pi OS, all updates done, and the Python SDK installed using docs from the edge impulse website, here https://docs.edgeimpulse.com/docs/linux-python-sdk

Node.js isn’t installed on the PI Zero as Edge Impulse requires v12 which isn’t available on ARM6 / Pi Zero, but I don’t think it’s necessary to run the model

Here’s the error from the Pi Zero terminal window…

pi@pizerow:~/Documents $ python3 classify.py model.eim 11
Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "classify.py", line 66, in <module>
    main(sys.argv[1:])
  File "classify.py", line 44, in main
    model_info = runner.init()
  File "/home/pi/.local/lib/python3.7/site-packages/edge_impulse_linux/audio.py", line 132, in init
    model_info = super(AudioImpulseRunner, self).init()
  File "/home/pi/.local/lib/python3.7/site-packages/edge_impulse_linux/runner.py", line 26, in init
    raise Exception('Model file "' + self._model_path + '" is not executable')
Exception: Model file "/home/pi/Documents/model.eim" is not executable
pi@pizerow:~/Documents $ 

Any help would be appreciated. Note I’ve tried changing the audio device to 1 instead of 11 in the arguments for classify.py but no change

UPDATE: I’ve altered the file permissions on model.eim to ‘anyone’ and now when I run classify,py again from the terminal, it just hangs and does nothing at all, not returning me to the command prompt?

I noted that during this ‘hang’ CPU utilisation = 1%, RAM = 50%

Hi @Spectrum48K,

It looks like your downloaded model doesn’t have correct permissions.

Can you run:
chmod +x /home/pi/Documents/model.eim

and try again?

Aurelien

thank you - I’ve fixed the file permission error

BUT

Now, when I try to run classify.py, in the terminal window, it just hangs and does nothing - no on screen response at all and I’m not returned to the command prompt

Has anyone successfully run classify.py on a PI Zero W? Note, the same code and model run fine on my Pi 3b

@Spectrum48K So we’re building Armv7 / Armv8 models, and the Pi Zero W is an Armv6 device - so I doubt that this works. You can do a quick test by running:

./model.eim stdin

Then typing

{"id":1,"hello":1}