Got PermissionError: [Errno 13] when running classify.py example

I am new to Edge Impulse. Trying to run my first example after building a model.eim file following the “Responding to your voice” tutorial. I am running on a Raspberry Pi 4B. Followed the tutorial and the instructions on the page for Raspberry Pi 4, I was able to generate and run the model by using the edge-impulse-linux-runner command. There is a model.eim file in the /home/pi/.ei-linux-runner/models/79501/v1 directory. I then followed the Linux Python SDK page instructions and downloaded the examples. However, when I ran the audio example, I got a “PermissionError: [Errno 13] Permission denied: ‘/home/pi/.ei-linux-runner/models/79501/v1’” error. Far as I can tell, I am running as the user “pi” and the path to the model.eim file and the file itself is owned by “pi”. I even tried changing the model.eim file to all read/write access, but that did not help either. I couldn’t figure what I might have done wrong. Any help on this would be much appreciated.

The following is the error that I came across:
pi@raspberrypi:~/linux-sdk-python/examples/audio $ ls -l /home/pi/.ei-linux-runner/models/79501/v1
total 9324
-rwxrwxrwx 1 pi pi 9543804 Feb 6 18:09 model.eim
pi@raspberrypi:~/linux-sdk-python/examples/audio $ python3 classify.py ~/.ei-linux-runner/models/79501/v1
Traceback (most recent call last):
File “/home/pi/linux-sdk-python/examples/audio/classify.py”, line 65, in
main(sys.argv[1:])
File “/home/pi/linux-sdk-python/examples/audio/classify.py”, line 43, in main
model_info = runner.init()
File “/home/pi/.local/lib/python3.9/site-packages/edge_impulse_linux/audio.py”, line 134, in init
model_info = super(AudioImpulseRunner, self).init()
File “/home/pi/.local/lib/python3.9/site-packages/edge_impulse_linux/runner.py”, line 30, in init
self._runner = subprocess.Popen([self._model_path, socket_path], stdout=subprocess.PIPE, stderr=subprocess.PIPE)
File “/usr/lib/python3.9/subprocess.py”, line 951, in init
self._execute_child(args, executable, preexec_fn, close_fds,
File “/usr/lib/python3.9/subprocess.py”, line 1823, in _execute_child
raise child_exception_type(errno_num, err_msg, err_filename)
PermissionError: [Errno 13] Permission denied: ‘/home/pi/.ei-linux-runner/models/79501/v1’

In looking at the Linux Python SDK page again, in the Classifying data section, it describes a way to download the modelfile.eim file. I followed the instructions to install the Edge Impulse for Linux CLI and then tried downloading the model file via the command edge-impulse-linux-runner --download modelfile.eim. However, I still got the PermissionError issue. The following is what I did to download the model file and running the classify.py program again:
pi@raspberrypi:~ $ edge-impulse-linux-runner --download modelfile.eim
Edge Impulse Linux runner v1.3.1

[RUN] Already have model /home/pi/.ei-linux-runner/models/79501/v1/model.eim not downloading...
[RUN] Stored model in /home/pi/modelfile.eim
pi@raspberrypi:~/linux-sdk-python/examples/audio $ python3 classify.py /home/pi
  File "/home/pi/linux-sdk-python/examples/audio/classify.py", line 65, in <module>
  File "/home/pi/linux-sdk-python/examples/audio/classify.py", line 43, in main
  File "/home/pi/.local/lib/python3.9/site-packages/edge_impulse_linux/audio.py", line 134, in init
  File "/home/pi/.local/lib/python3.9/site-packages/edge_impulse_linux/runner.py", line 30, in init
    self._runner = subprocess.Popen([self._model_path, socket_path], stdout=subprocess.PIPE, stderr=subprocess.PIPE)
  File "/usr/lib/python3.9/subprocess.py", line 951, in __init__
  File "/usr/lib/python3.9/subprocess.py", line 1823, in _execute_child
PermissionError: [Errno 13] Permission denied: '/home/pi'

So, what is the difference between the model.eim and the modelfile.eim files. Both did not work. So, what did I do wrong? Which .eim file should I use? Can someone help me?

Hello @FrancisTse ,

For the permission error, can you make sure you Home directory is owned by you?

sudo chown -R $(whoami) $HOME

You can also just grant the access to your model doing that in your custom location:

chmod +x name-of-your-model-file.eim

Also, for the difference between model.eim and modelfile.eim these are the same, modelfile.eim is the name you give to the edge impulse model file.
model.eim is simply the default name that we temporary store when you run the command edge-impulse-linux-runner
See https://docs.edgeimpulse.com/docs/edge-impulse-for-linux#eim-models for more info

Regards,

Louis

I checked the home directory and it is owned by “pi”, the user name I am using. Just to make sure, I did the sudo chown -R $(whoami) $HOME command anyway just in case there are directory structures underneath that are not owned by “pi”. I also checked the two .eim files I have and they are both executable. With all that, I am still getting the same error. The following is what I did:

pi@raspberrypi:~ $ sudo chown -R $(whoami) $HOME
pi@raspberrypi:~ $ whoami
pi
pi@raspberrypi:~ $ cd ..
pi@raspberrypi:/home $ ls -l
total 4
drwxr-xr-x 30 pi pi 4096 Feb  7 22:39 pi
pi@raspberrypi:/home $ cd ~/linux-sdk-python/examples/audio
pi@raspberrypi:~/linux-sdk-python/examples/audio $ ls -l /home/pi/.ei-linux-runner/models/79501/v1
total 9324
-rwxrwxrwx 1 pi pi 9543804 Feb  6 18:09 model.eim
pi@raspberrypi:~/linux-sdk-python/examples/audio $ python3 myClassify.py /home/pi/.ei-linux-runner/models/79501/v1
  File "/home/pi/linux-sdk-python/examples/audio/myClassify.py", line 66, in <module>
  File "/home/pi/linux-sdk-python/examples/audio/myClassify.py", line 43, in main
  File "/home/pi/.local/lib/python3.9/site-packages/edge_impulse_linux/audio.py", line 134, in init
  File "/home/pi/.local/lib/python3.9/site-packages/edge_impulse_linux/runner.py", line 30, in init
PermissionError: [Errno 13] Permission denied: '/home/pi/.ei-linux-runner/models/79501/v1'
pi@raspberrypi:~/linux-sdk-python/examples/audio $ ls -l ~/*.eim
-rwxrwxrwx 1 pi pi 9543804 Feb  7 22:16 /home/pi/modelfile.eim
pi@raspberrypi:~/linux-sdk-python/examples/audio $ python3 myClassify.py /home/pi
  File "/home/pi/linux-sdk-python/examples/audio/myClassify.py", line 66, in <module>
  File "/home/pi/linux-sdk-python/examples/audio/myClassify.py", line 43, in main
PermissionError: [Errno 13] Permission denied: '/home/pi'

Hello @louis,
One thing I forgot to mentioned is that I am running the Raspberry Pi 4B with the latest 32-bit Raspberry Pi OS (bullseye). Don’t know if that makes a difference. I wonder if anyone else might have tried running the audio classify.py example on other linux platforms.
Also, can you provide a pointer to the documentation as to how to use the Python functions such as AudioImpulseRunner that was imported from edge_impulse_linux.audio in the classify.py code?
Edge Impulse is very powerful. I am still trying to learn what all the pieces mean and how to use them. Do appreciate your help.
Thanks and best regards,
Francis.

Hi @FrancisTse,

To use that classify.py example, you need to give it the path of the .eim file (not just the directory that it’s stored in). For example, if you downloaded modelfile.eim to your home directory, such as:

pi@raspberrypi:~/Projects/edge-impulse/my-keyword-spotting-project $ ls /home/pi
Arduino    Desktop    edge-impulse-config.json  Pictures  Templates
bin        Documents  modelfile.eim             Projects  Videos
Bookshelf  Downloads  Music                     Public

Then you need to call classify.py as follows:

python3 classify.py /home/pi/modelfile.eim

The examples at https://github.com/edgeimpulse/linux-sdk-python are the only place that I know about for Python SDK functions. @louis may know of some other location.

1 Like

Hello @shawn_edgeimpulse,

That worked! No more PermissionError. I used the mic on a Logitech C270 USB webcam connected to the Raspberry Pi 4B to record the training voice. It is Audio Device 1. The voice I am trying to detect is labeled “Gnaujai”. I added the Audio Device ID to the command line and this is what I got:

pi@raspberrypi:~/linux-sdk-python/examples/audio $ python3 myClassify.py /home/pi/modelfile.eim 1
Loaded runner for "Francis K Tse / test3"
Device ID 1 has been provided as an argument.
ALSA lib confmisc.c:1281:(snd_func_refer) Unable to find definition 'cards.bcm2835_headpho.pcm.front.0:CARD=0'
ALSA lib conf.c:4745:(_snd_config_evaluate) function snd_func_refer returned error: No such file or directory
ALSA lib conf.c:5233:(snd_config_expand) Evaluate error: No such file or directory
ALSA lib pcm.c:2660:(snd_pcm_open_noupdate) Unknown PCM front
ALSA lib pcm.c:2660:(snd_pcm_open_noupdate) Unknown PCM cards.pcm.rear
ALSA lib pcm.c:2660:(snd_pcm_open_noupdate) Unknown PCM cards.pcm.center_lfe
ALSA lib pcm.c:2660:(snd_pcm_open_noupdate) Unknown PCM cards.pcm.side
ALSA lib confmisc.c:1281:(snd_func_refer) Unable to find definition 'cards.bcm2835_headpho.pcm.surround51.0:CARD=0'
ALSA lib conf.c:4745:(_snd_config_evaluate) function snd_func_refer returned error: No such file or directory
ALSA lib conf.c:5233:(snd_config_expand) Evaluate error: No such file or directory
ALSA lib pcm.c:2660:(snd_pcm_open_noupdate) Unknown PCM surround21
ALSA lib confmisc.c:1281:(snd_func_refer) Unable to find definition 'cards.bcm2835_headpho.pcm.surround51.0:CARD=0'
ALSA lib confmisc.c:1281:(snd_func_refer) Unable to find definition 'cards.bcm2835_headpho.pcm.surround40.0:CARD=0'
ALSA lib pcm.c:2660:(snd_pcm_open_noupdate) Unknown PCM surround40
ALSA lib pcm.c:2660:(snd_pcm_open_noupdate) Unknown PCM surround41
ALSA lib pcm.c:2660:(snd_pcm_open_noupdate) Unknown PCM surround50
ALSA lib pcm.c:2660:(snd_pcm_open_noupdate) Unknown PCM surround51
ALSA lib confmisc.c:1281:(snd_func_refer) Unable to find definition 'cards.bcm2835_headpho.pcm.surround71.0:CARD=0'
ALSA lib pcm.c:2660:(snd_pcm_open_noupdate) Unknown PCM surround71
ALSA lib confmisc.c:1281:(snd_func_refer) Unable to find definition 'cards.bcm2835_headpho.pcm.iec958.0:CARD=0,AES0=4,AES1=130,AES2=0,AES3=2'
ALSA lib pcm.c:2660:(snd_pcm_open_noupdate) Unknown PCM iec958
ALSA lib confmisc.c:1281:(snd_func_refer) Unable to find definition 'cards.bcm2835_headpho.pcm.iec958.0:CARD=0,AES0=4,AES1=130,AES2=0,AES3=2'
ALSA lib pcm.c:2660:(snd_pcm_open_noupdate) Unknown PCM spdif
ALSA lib confmisc.c:1281:(snd_func_refer) Unable to find definition 'cards.bcm2835_headpho.pcm.hdmi.0:CARD=0,AES0=4,AES1=130,AES2=0,AES3=2'
ALSA lib pcm.c:2660:(snd_pcm_open_noupdate) Unknown PCM hdmi
ALSA lib confmisc.c:1281:(snd_func_refer) Unable to find definition 'cards.bcm2835_headpho.pcm.hdmi.0:CARD=0,AES0=4,AES1=130,AES2=0,AES3=2'
ALSA lib pcm.c:2660:(snd_pcm_open_noupdate) Unknown PCM cards.pcm.modem
ALSA lib pcm.c:2660:(snd_pcm_open_noupdate) Unknown PCM cards.pcm.phoneline
connect(2) call to /dev/shm/jack-1000/default/jack_0 failed (err=No such file or directory)
attempt to connect to server failed
connect(2) call to /dev/shm/jack-1000/default/jack_0 failed (err=No such file or directory)
ALSA lib pcm_oss.c:377:(_snd_pcm_oss_open) Unknown field port
ALSA lib pcm_a52.c:823:(_snd_pcm_a52_open) a52 is only for playback
ALSA lib confmisc.c:1281:(snd_func_refer) Unable to find definition 'cards.bcm2835_headpho.pcm.iec958.0:CARD=0,AES0=6,AES1=130,AES2=0,AES3=2'
ALSA lib pcm.c:2660:(snd_pcm_open_noupdate) Unknown PCM iec958:{AES0 0x6 AES1 0x82 AES2 0x0 AES3 0x2  CARD 0}
ALSA lib pcm_usb_stream.c:486:(_snd_pcm_usb_stream_open) Invalid type for card
selected Audio device: 1
Result (11 ms.) Gnaujai: 0.05	noise: 0.56	unknown: 0.39	
Result (3 ms.) Gnaujai: 0.30	noise: 0.50	unknown: 0.20	
Result (7 ms.) Gnaujai: 0.17	noise: 0.51	unknown: 0.31	
Result (9 ms.) Gnaujai: 0.06	noise: 0.76	unknown: 0.18	
Result (9 ms.) Gnaujai: 0.11	noise: 0.37	unknown: 0.52

Although I provided the Audio Device ID, the program seemed to try to connect to many other devices. Is that what is expected? The Results are not continuously printed out. It actually print a new line every minute or more. Doesn’t seem to do it at the same all the time intervals. Is this what I would expect? When does the program gather data from the audio input? Was it waiting for an audio input? I tried speaking into the mic but that did not seem to generate a Result output. I couldn’t really figure out what is going on. It would be nice to know what AudioImpulseRunner() is doing.

At least, I made some progress. Hope to learn more.

Thanks and best regards,
Francis.

Hi @FrancisTse,

I don’t have a C270, so I don’t know exactly what to expect with that particular webacm. If you call the script without passing it a microphone hardware number, does it ask you to select your device?

python3 myClassify.py /home/pi/modelfile.eim

Hello @shawn_edgeimpulse,

When I do not put in the microphone hardware, I was asked for the number. I typed in “1” and it work run. For some reason, the result came out streaming continuously as I expected. My trained model is not very good and I am still working on that. :slightly_smiling_face: Otherwise, all seems well now. Thanks to everyone at Edge Impulse for your prompt help. This is great tool and a great way to learn ML.!

Best regards,
Francis.

2 Likes

For whatever it’s worth, here is the result when I did not put in a microphone ID number:

pi@raspberrypi:~/linux-sdk-python/examples/audio $ python3 myClassify.py /home/pi/modelfile.eim
Loaded runner for "Francis K Tse / test3"
ALSA lib confmisc.c:1281:(snd_func_refer) Unable to find definition 'cards.bcm2835_headpho.pcm.front.0:CARD=0'
ALSA lib pcm.c:2660:(snd_pcm_open_noupdate) Unknown PCM front
ALSA lib pcm.c:2660:(snd_pcm_open_noupdate) Unknown PCM cards.pcm.rear
ALSA lib pcm.c:2660:(snd_pcm_open_noupdate) Unknown PCM cards.pcm.center_lfe
ALSA lib pcm.c:2660:(snd_pcm_open_noupdate) Unknown PCM cards.pcm.side
ALSA lib confmisc.c:1281:(snd_func_refer) Unable to find definition 'cards.bcm2835_headpho.pcm.surround40.0:CARD=0'
ALSA lib pcm.c:2660:(snd_pcm_open_noupdate) Unknown PCM surround40
ALSA lib pcm.c:2660:(snd_pcm_open_noupdate) Unknown PCM surround41
ALSA lib pcm.c:2660:(snd_pcm_open_noupdate) Unknown PCM surround50
ALSA lib pcm.c:2660:(snd_pcm_open_noupdate) Unknown PCM surround51
ALSA lib confmisc.c:1281:(snd_func_refer) Unable to find definition 'cards.bcm2835_headpho.pcm.surround71.0:CARD=0'
ALSA lib pcm.c:2660:(snd_pcm_open_noupdate) Unknown PCM surround71
ALSA lib pcm.c:2660:(snd_pcm_open_noupdate) Unknown PCM iec958
ALSA lib pcm_a52.c:823:(_snd_pcm_a52_open) a52 is only for playback
ALSA lib confmisc.c:1281:(snd_func_refer) Unable to find definition 'cards.bcm2835_headpho.pcm.iec958.0:CARD=0,AES0=6,AES1=130,AES2=0,AES3=2'
ALSA lib pcm.c:2660:(snd_pcm_open_noupdate) Unknown PCM iec958:{AES0 0x6 AES1 0x82 AES2 0x0 AES3 0x2  CARD 0}
1 --> USB Device 0x46d:0x825: Audio (hw:1,0)
7 --> pulse
11 --> default
Type the id of the audio device you want to use: 
selected Audio device: 1
Result (15 ms.) Gnaujai: 0.04	noise: 0.66	unknown: 0.30	
Result (3 ms.) Gnaujai: 0.04	noise: 0.62	unknown: 0.34	
Result (3 ms.) Gnaujai: 0.20	noise: 0.44	unknown: 0.37	
Result (3 ms.) Gnaujai: 0.20	noise: 0.57	unknown: 0.22	
Result (3 ms.) Gnaujai: 0.04	noise: 0.79	unknown: 0.17	
Result (3 ms.) Gnaujai: 0.21	noise: 0.46	unknown: 0.33	
Result (3 ms.) Gnaujai: 0.11	noise: 0.82	unknown: 0.07	
Result (6 ms.) Gnaujai: 0.08	noise: 0.35	unknown: 0.57