ESP32-S3 will not connect

Follow-up with additional information on my unresolved issue trying to add a supported board.
See image of successful flash, but failure to connect on USB COM.
I’ve also posted in two ESP32 forums with no response.

Hi @Gigcity

Did you follow the steps to customise for your board? Espressif ESP-EYE | Edge Impulse Documentation

Best

Eoin

In another thread, you’d confirmed the ESP32-S3-EYE was supported, but after following a link provided there it seems it is not without recompiling.

Even though Edge Impulse has not released its SDK for ESP32S3 using the ESP NN accelerator, thanks to Dmitry Maslov, we can have its assembly optimizations restored and fixed for ESP32-S3. This solution is not official yet, and EI will include it in EI SDK once they fix conflicts with other boards.

I believe there are two separate issues, one not being able to even flash working firmware (not necessarily a problem for this forum), and the other would be modifying configs to make it compatible.

1 Like

Hi @Gigcity

Thank you for providing additional information regarding the challenges you’re facing with the NN on the ESP32-S3-EYE board, I’m reporting this to our embedded team for review.

I understand there are many configurations for this particular chipset, while that is great for use cases, it can lead to many customisation pitfalls for users with the many variations. Let me see if there are any specifics noted for this newer variant.

Best

Eoin

Thank you for the response.
I suspect the ESP32-S3 secondary bootloader cause firmware flashing issues, and have seen others refer to the same outcome in various forums. If I find a documented solution, I’ll share it here.

1 Like