Edge-impulse-cli install

for CLI installation in windows did we have to use windows power shell. also I have visual studio installed using visual community and additional package of node.js i.e. chocolatey but still I am facing the same issue.

@jenny Any suggestions here?

Hello @apoorv,

Could you try opening your powershell or command prompt as administrator and see if that works?

Regards,

Louis

@louis I wanted to know whether an application would be installed in the start menu or not because when I installed it, it is only showing that some files are installed in ‘c’ drive but no application of name edge impulse is showing in the start menu. I am confused about it.

Hello @apoorv,

It looks like your installation was successful, the CLI tools won’t show up in the start menu since they are Command Line Interface tools. It will be used as a gloabl npm package accessible directly from a terminal.

Regards,

Louis

1 Like

BTW, I just tried to do a fresh install using:

And I used Power Shell as Administrator.

PS C:\Windows\system32> nvm list available

|   CURRENT    |     LTS      |  OLD STABLE  | OLD UNSTABLE |                                                          
|--------------|--------------|--------------|--------------|                                                          
|    16.3.0    |   14.17.1    |   0.12.18    |   0.11.16    |                                                           
|    16.2.0    |   14.17.0    |   0.12.17    |   0.11.15    |                                                           
|    16.1.0    |   14.16.1    |   0.12.16    |   0.11.14    |
|    16.0.0    |   14.16.0    |   0.12.15    |   0.11.13    |
|   15.14.0    |   14.15.5    |   0.12.14    |   0.11.12    |
|   15.13.0    |   14.15.4    |   0.12.13    |   0.11.11    |
|   15.12.0    |   14.15.3    |   0.12.12    |   0.11.10    |
|   15.11.0    |   14.15.2    |   0.12.11    |    0.11.9    |
|   15.10.0    |   14.15.1    |   0.12.10    |    0.11.8    |
|    15.9.0    |   14.15.0    |    0.12.9    |    0.11.7    |
|    15.8.0    |   12.22.1    |    0.12.8    |    0.11.6    |
|    15.7.0    |   12.22.0    |    0.12.7    |    0.11.5    |
|    15.6.0    |   12.21.0    |    0.12.6    |    0.11.4    |
|    15.5.1    |   12.20.2    |    0.12.5    |    0.11.3    |
|    15.5.0    |   12.20.1    |    0.12.4    |    0.11.2    |
|    15.4.0    |   12.20.0    |    0.12.3    |    0.11.1    |
|    15.3.0    |   12.19.1    |    0.12.2    |    0.11.0    |
|    15.2.1    |   12.19.0    |    0.12.1    |    0.9.12    |
|    15.2.0    |   12.18.4    |    0.12.0    |    0.9.11    |
|    15.1.0    |   12.18.3    |   0.10.48    |    0.9.10    |

This is a partial list. For a complete list, visit https://nodejs.org/download/release
PS C:\Windows\system32> nvm install latest
Downloading node.js version 16.3.0 (64-bit)...
Complete
Creating C:\Users\luisomoreau\AppData\Roaming\nvm\temp

Downloading npm version 7.15.1... Complete
Installing npm v7.15.1...

Installation complete. If you want to use this version, type

nvm use 16.3.0
PS C:\Windows\system32> nvm use 16.3.0
Now using node v16.3.0 (64-bit)

Then I tried to install the CLI but go an error:

PS C:\Users\luisomoreau> npm install -g edge-impulse-cli --force
npm ERR! gyp ERR! find VS **************************************************************
npm ERR! gyp ERR! find VS You need to install the latest version of Visual Studio
npm ERR! gyp ERR! find VS including the "Desktop development with C++" workload.
npm ERR! gyp ERR! find VS For more information consult the documentation at:
npm ERR! gyp ERR! find VS https://github.com/nodejs/node-gyp#on-windows
npm ERR! gyp ERR! find VS **************************************************************
npm ERR! gyp ERR! find VS
npm ERR! gyp ERR! configure error
npm ERR! gyp ERR! stack Error: Could not find any Visual Studio installation to use

Following the link provided in the error https://github.com/nodejs/node-gyp#on-windows, I downloaded the Visual Studio Community to install the Desktop development with C++ workload:

And finally, I successfully installed Edge Impulse CLI:

PS C:\Users\luisomoreau> npm install -g edge-impulse-cli --force                                                                                                                     
npm WARN using --force Recommended protections disabled.                                                          
npm WARN deprecated @zeit/dockerignore@0.0.5: "@zeit/dockerignore" is no longer maintained
npm WARN deprecated har-validator@5.1.5: this library is no longer supported
npm WARN deprecated request-promise@4.2.6: request-promise has been deprecated because it extends the now deprecated request package, see https://github.com/request/request/issues/3142                                                                          
npm WARN deprecated uuid@3.4.0: Please upgrade  to version 7 or higher.  Older versions may use Math.random() in certain circumstances, which is known to be problematic.  See https://v8.dev/blog/math-random for details.                                                                                                                                               
npm WARN deprecated request@2.88.2: request has been deprecated, see https://github.com/request/request/issues/3142                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                       
added 295 packages, and audited 297 packages in 28s

2 low severity vulnerabilities

Some issues need review, and may require choosing
a different dependency.

Run `npm audit` for details.

And now I can use any of Edge Impulse CLI tools.

I hope this can help for those who still have troubles installing the CLI on Windows. Note that it is a bit overkill to install visual studio community to install node-gyp, I haven’t tried @aurel suggestion as I wasn’t sure it was provided with nvm but it should worth giving it a try.

Regards,

Louis

1 Like

@louis Is edge impulse only applicable for devices mentioned in the document file or it can also run in stm32F446RE.

@apoorv,

This question is not really related to edge-impulse-cli installation I guess. I suggest you to create another thread for questions not related to this topic.

But to answer you very quickly, we are hardware agnostic although we do fully support several boards / eval kits but you can always download the C++ libraries, the tflite files, after you trained your model, and use the data-forwarder (or the API, the upload portals, etc…) to ingest your data.

So yes, it will be able to run on the stm32F446RE.

Regards,

Louis

i have the same trouble. I dont know why Visual Studio 2022 install Build Tools 2017, the
npm install --global --production windows-build-tools was crash and hang.

With VS Build Tools 2017 and npm config set msvs_version 2017 the install was successful.

Hello @RickorDD,

Glad you make it work with VS Build Tools 2017 and npm config set msvs_version 2017! Good to know for the community. Thanks for sharing!

Regards,

Louis

When installing edge-impulse-cli I get these messages, I’ve tried several paths and I still haven’t got a solution, can someone help me?

I installed Edge impulse cli and I am getting the error while running edge-impulse-data-forwarder

I am new to this, am I doing this wrong?
I have installed and reinstalled things like VS, node js multiple times.
@arijit_das_student @louis-demo

Hi @nishanchettri10,
Have you tried out this: https://github.com/edgeimpulse/ei-install-scripts?

I have tried it, and it is not working, can you help me please.

@hazem.kudaimi Have you tried re-installing from the beginning? Like from downloading VS from the Microsoft website and installing the C++ Desktop redistributables, and then trying to install the CLI?

No, I will try it. Thanks!

Hello @hazem.kudaimi,

Some users also reported that after a computer reboot it worked

Regards,

Louis

Thank you, I tried that but it still not work.

Hi everyone I had the same problem as @hazem.kudaimi
Here’s my issue, at first it works but then suddenly it didn’t work anymore, and appear this kind of issue

com/t/edge-impulse-is-not-recognize-windows/4618