Difficulty in understanding the CNN architecture

Hello… I’m a beginner to machine learning and trying to implement a model from a paper…
I’m developing a keyword spotting application and following is the architecture i want to implement.

The architecture should contain the

1. Conv layer with 64 feature maps and 1 into 3 pooling size
  2. Conv layer with 64 feature maps and 1 into 1 pooling size
  3. Linear layer with 32 feature maps
  4. DNN with 128 feature maps
  5. Softmax with 4 feature maps

I’m assuming, the feature maps and number of neurons would be the same value in Edge Impulse?
Also how to set the pooling size?
What is DNN In edge impulse? I’m assuming the dense layer is the linear layer?
And how can weight matrix (m into r) be perceived from edge Impulse ?

Sorry for these basic questions but it would really help if i get answers to these…
Thanks in advance

Hi @rida,

In Edge Impulse, the number of “filters” in a convolutional layer is the number of neurons, which is also equal to the number of feature maps that are output from that layer.

The pooling size is set to 2 by default. You have to go into Expert Mode to change the pooling size.

Yes, DNN stands for “dense neural network.” I’m not sure what you mean by “linear layer,” as most dense layers have non-linear activations (e.g. ReLU or Softmax if it’s the final layer of a classification model).

I’m not sure what you mean by “weight matrix (m into r).” Could you provide an example of this?

Hope that helps!

2 Likes

Also, for keyword spotting with CNNs, I might recommend checking out the videos in the course here: https://www.coursera.org/learn/introduction-to-embedded-machine-learning. It’s free to take the course (Coursera will pester you to pay for a certificate, but it’s not necessary). We briefly cover DNNs, CNNs, and how to make a keyword spotting system in the final week.

The link of the paper is here…

“Table 2: CNN Architecture for cnn-one-fpool3” is the one i’m refering to. How to model that on edge impulse?

Hi @rida,

I’m not sure what the authors mean by “linear low-rank,” and it seems that the terminology confuses others, too: machine learning - What is low rank linear layer in neural networks? - Cross Validated. My guess is that it’s a simple matrix multiplication. If so, you can likely use the Keras multiply layer (Multiply layer) in Expert mode in Edge Impulse.

But what about the 32 neurons that are in n column?

Hi @rida,

I’m really not sure. Perhaps it’s just a dense layer with 32 neurons that have linear activation functions. That’s what I would try.

This was my first guess… but I just searched that Relu is a linear activation function. But what you said above is different…

Or correct me if i’m wrong… if i just do…

model.add(Dense(32))

It would be considered linear right?

Yes, if you look at the Keras doc page (Dense layer), you can see the following:

• activation: Activation function to use. If you don’t specify anything, no activation is applied (ie. “linear” activation: a(x) = x).

Exactly… thanks alott!

hi @shawn_edgeimpulse, since this thread talk about CNN architecture, can I ask a question about it?
I have project about sound classification, and hardly to understand,

1. what is the reasonable behind, why EI use CNN on audio classification task?
  2. this is the setting default CNN architecture on Edge Impulse, what is the mean and the function of
    kernel_constraint=tf.keras.constraints.MaxNorm(1)”? what will happen if I change the number?

regards,

Hi @dexvils,

1. CNNs are useful in audio classification tasks when you perform feature extraction first that results in something that looks like an image. In Edge Impulse, you can (be default) use spectrograms, MFEs, or MFCCs for features for most audio classification tasks. The output of these processing blocks is a 2D array, which looks much like an image. As a result, image classification techniques (e.g. CNNs) work well here.
  2. Applying a max-norm constraint to layer weights is a form of regularization to help fight overfitting. You can read about it here: Max-Norm regularization. - Machine learning journey

hi

thanks for the answer. since you talk about Spectrogram and MFE and I’ve watch your video on coursera, it is great tutorial, but I have several question.
in the documentation MFE have parameter like in this pic:
my question is:

1. because I found little information about it in the documentation. what is FFT size?
    Since it might have connection with frame length, what FFT size would you recommend if I have continuous sound data (e.g. horn, drill or siren) with frame length between 20 ms to 40 ms and sample frequency of 16000 hz?
  2. in some examples in EI, why is the default value of low freq is 300?
  3. before we fed to neural network, Is the signal normalized ?
  4. what kind of window function is applied each frame signal?hamming or hann?

@ShawnHymel or @shawn_edgeimpulse and @AlexE, if you don’t mind, could you please give me an answer.

regards,

1. You’re right that asking frame size and fft size is a little redundant. If FFT size is bigger than frame size (when converted to samples), then the fft is zero padded. Vice versa, then the frame is clipped. Recommend nearest power of 2 to your frame in samples. Ex: 20 ms * 16000 = 320, so 256 (a little clipping generally doesn’t hurt) or 512
  2. That was a default we inherited from an open source library, and honestly, I can’t find any articles or rationale for that choice. I think I will change the default to 0. I recommend you use that as well
  3. No, but the MFE block tends to output values between 0-1 due to some scaling in the MFE algo itself, so you’ll generally be fine not normalizing
  4. We just use rectangular to save processing. At some point, we’d like to investigate what impact, if any, a window like hamming or hann would have
1 Like

hi @AlexE thanks for the answer.

1. what is the mean “nearest power of 2 to your frame in samples.”? * What values should be in the power of 2? 320^2 or 20ms^2?
  2. in the documentation of MFE it said:

“The last step is to perform a local mean normalization of the signal, applying the Noise floor value to the power spectrum.”

what does the local mean normalization?I have a little trouble understanding it. also Is the output of MFE also subjected to log() operation? Is there an equation used?

1. I hope we can the near future we can use another popular hann or hamming window sampling,

Hi @dexvils , sorry for missing this earlier, we had a technical snag where I didn’t get the notification for this message.

1- for example, 20 mS frame size (or 0.020 s) at 1000 Hz. That would be 20 samples. The next power of 2 is 32 (b/c 16 < 20) (2^5=32)
2 - Sorry, I’ve cleared up the doc. It should read: The last step clips the MFE output for noise reduction. Any sample below Noise floor is set to zero instead. And yes, we take log(power) before this step

1. Good feedback, thanks! You can also try making a custom DSP block and use a window like that. Our DSP blocks are available on github