Capture data without the CLI

Hi, we’ve now launched Web Serial support which lets you collect data without the CLI! Hope this is useful for anyone in corporate environments, workshops, etc.

More information here:

5 Likes

I heard about this being launched about 10 minutes before my Thursday after school Machine Learning kids meetup. We all tried it with various issues.

1. My school locked down laptop had an old version of Chrome, did not show the “Connect using WebUSB” button. Windows Edge could see the button but didn’t work as my client is not installed correctly.

2. My ubuntu computer Chromium has had a recent issue and Firefox doesn’t show the button (as documented).

3. A student had a Mac computer, which showed the WebUSB button but had an old client version so it didn’t connect.

4. A few students with Windows computers with up-to-date Chrome could see the WebUSB button, but only students with a latest fully installed client that they used to login could use the webUSB button.

5. I will need to look into how to fully install the client a bit better before next weeks class. Do people have to login using the client first or is the web login enough for using this feature?

Anyone else have issues?

Hi @Rocksetta,

The WebUSB API is available from Chrome v61 and Edge 79.
There are couple of tips here if you need to debug further: https://web.dev/usb/#tips

Aurelien

@aurel It’s Web Serial though (despite the name in the UI ;-)) which was introduced later.

@Rocksetta What do you mean with the notes about ‘my client / old client version’? The CLI is not required at all for this to work. Do you see errors being printed by the studio?

1. I will need to look into how to fully install the client a bit better before next weeks class. Do people have to login using the client first or is the web login enough for using this feature?

Nothing should be required. Just connect board and go. If you have some console logs that would be great too.

1 Like

One of my students got things working by using the client as a login first. Kind of thought that wasn’t needed, as it defeats the purpose of the web serial simplification. I will test things this week and see if I can get it working on a few more computers.

One of my students got things working by using the client as a login first. Kind of thought that wasn’t needed, as it defeats the purpose of the web serial simplification. I will test things this week and see if I can get it working on a few more computers.

Hmm… interesting. Should indeed not be needed. If you can get the logs from the console in this case that’d be helpful. Note that you need to have stopped the daemon locally to get this to work (I saw some other folks in the community have this issue).