Cannot find any webcams

When I try to execute the command “edge-impulse-linux”, after entering my credentials, I get the following error message:

[GST] checking for /etc/os-release
Failed to initialize linux tool Error: Cannot find any webcams, run this command with --disable-camera to skip selection
at /usr/local/lib/node_modules/edge-impulse-linux/build/cli/linux/linux.js:442:23

I have searched and found similar topics about this. But after trying the previously proposed solutions, I still cannot make it work. When I try the “rpicam-hello” command, the camera seems to work fine.

I’m using an RPi 5 with the camera module v2.

Hi @vicinator

The error message indicates our Linux runner cannot find any webcams. If you’re not using a webcam for data collection or inference, you can run the command with the --disable-camera option to skip webcam selection.

Alternatively, ensure that your webcam is properly connected and recognized by your system.

Best

Eoin

Hi Eoin

Thank you for your reply. I’m afraid I am working on an object detection model so I will need the camera. The strange thing is that I can open the camera and take pictures on the Pi without any problems. So the error I get when connecting to Edge Impulse is quite surprising. If I use the --disable-camera option command, the Pi registers fine.

Hi @vicinator

Let me clarify and give more steps on - “ensure that your webcam is properly connected and recognized by your system.”

Did you enable the camera in the raspi-config menu?

1. Run the following command in your terminal to open the raspi-config menu:
sudo raspi-config
  1. In the raspi-config menu, navigate to “Interfacing Options” using the arrow keys and press Enter.
  2. Inside “Interfacing Options,” find and select “Camera” and press Enter.
  3. You’ll be prompted with the question “Would you like the camera interface to be enabled?” Select “Yes” and press Enter.
  4. After enabling the camera interface, you may need to reboot your Raspberry Pi for the changes to take effect. You can do this by selecting “Finish” in the raspi-config menu and then choosing “Yes” to reboot when prompted.

Let me know if enabling the camera interface resolves the issue you’re experiencing

Best

Eoin

If this does not resolve the issue please make sure you have the correct OS on your RPI5 @rjames I might ask you to review if this is still the case:

Verify Operating System and Architecture: Ensure that you’re using the correct operating system and architecture for your Raspberry Pi 5. As mentioned in the documentation, the Raspberry Pi 4 uses aarch64, which is a 64-bit CPU architecture. If you’re uncertain about your system’s architecture, you can verify it by running the following commands:

uname -m
uname -a
getconf LONG_BIT

If the output indicates that you’re running a 32-bit OS on a 64-bit CPU (e.g., aarch64), you may encounter compatibility issues. In this case, consider switching to a 64-bit operating system to ensure proper support for Edge Impulse and its dependencies.

See more on this in our doc:

Best

Eoin