BYOM and Edge Impuse Python SDK - error codes

I am trying to profile my first own models on ‘cortex-m7-216mhz’ and run into the following error message:
mcuSupportError: Verifying model failed with code -6 and no error message
Where can I find an overview of the error codes?

I am also noticing unexpected behavior when I profile the same model in unquantized and quantized (8 INT) version. The unquantized version works fine, but the quantized version is throwing the above error. I have been profiling the same models with STM32Cube.AI runtime without any issues on STM32F746G-Disco.

Hello @subrockmann,

That’s an error thrown by the EON compiler when validating the model.
Could you share your model with me so our core engineering team can have a look?
You can email me at louis@edgeimpulse.com if needed.
Random weights is fine.

Best,

Louis

@subrockmann Is this for a different project than 207864? It looks like it did succeed there eventually. Could you share the model that failed?

@janjongboom: project 207864 uses the unquantized model. I have sent both models to you and @louis by email.

@louis and @janjongboom:
I am not sure if this is related, but I am also having issues with the quantized model when I am trying to use https://github.com/edgeimpulse/tflite-find-arena-size.

This results in the following error message:

'edge-impulse-sdk/tensorflow/lite/micro/kernels/quantize.cc:68 input->type == kTfLiteFloat32 || input->type == kTfLiteInt16 || input->type == kTfLiteInt8 was not true[.\r\r\nNode](https://vscode-remote+wsl-002bubuntu-002d20-002e04.vscode-resource.vscode-cdn.net/mnt/c/tiny_mlc/tiny_cnn/r/r/nNode) QUANTIZE (number 0f) failed to prepare with status 1

@louis: Is there any update on this topic? I would really like to use the BYOM feature for deployment.
Thanks,
Susanne

Hello @subrockmann,

Sorry for that late reply.
I managed to replicate your issue with the quantized model you provided.

I also tried to download the cpp library, and compile it with this GitHub - edgeimpulse/example-standalone-inferencing: Builds and runs an exported impulse locally (C++), the compilation succeed.

But when I run ./build/app on my macbook, I’m getting this error:

Running impulse...
Failed to allocate TFLite arena (0 bytes)
run_classifier returned: -6
Timing: DSP 0 ms, inference 0 ms, anomaly 0 ms
Predictions:
  class 1: 0.00000
  class 2: 0.00000

I notified again our core engineering team to check if someone is available to have a look.

Hello @subrockmann,

@dansitu had a quick look today.
Would it be possible to share the code that you used to convert the model to tflite as well?
It seems that your model is taking uint8 inputs then quantizing them again before output? Not entirely sure though.

Best,

Louis

Hi @louis and @dansitu,
here is the code used to convert to TFLite INT8:

repr_ds = test_ds.unbatch()

def representative_data_gen():
  for i_value, o_value in repr_ds.batch(1).take(48):
    yield [i_value]

converter_opt = tf.lite.TFLiteConverter.from_keras_model(model)

# set the optimization flag
converter_opt.optimizations = [tf.lite.Optimize.DEFAULT]
# enforce integer only quantization
converter_opt.target_spec.supported_ops = [tf.lite.OpsSet.TFLITE_BUILTINS_INT8]

# https://github.com/tensorflow/tensorflow/issues/53293: uint is no longer supported!
#converter_opt.inference_input_type = tf.uint8
#converter_opt.inference_output_type = tf.uint8
converter_opt.inference_input_type = tf.int8
converter_opt.inference_output_type = tf.int8

# provide a representative dataset for quantization
converter_opt.representative_dataset = representative_data_gen

tflite_model_opt = converter_opt.convert()

# Save the model.
with open(models_tflite_opt_path, 'wb') as f:
  f.write(tflite_model_opt)
models_tflite_opt_path

The code was adapted from here: convert_using_integer-only_quantization.

Thanks for your support,
Susanne

Hi Susanne,

Thank you for sharing, and sorry you’re having trouble.

The tflite model file you shared with @louis expects uint8 inputs and outputs. I see the line converter_opt.inference_input_type = tf.uint8 is commented in the code you provided. Is there any chance the tflite model file you are using was produced with an earlier version of the code before the uint8 lines were commented?

I believe the issue is that your model expects uint8 inputs but is then attempting to quantize them using the quantize operator. We use TFLite 2.4 during profiling, and its quantize operator does not support a uint8 input and int8 output, so it’s failing.

Does your original model (before quantization) accept uint8 inputs? If so, a workaround could be to use float inputs during training instead of uint8. That way, quantization would work normally.

Warmly,
Dan

1 Like

Hi Dan,

I just double checked by reconverting the model with tf.int8 input and output but the problem persists. The original training data is float32. Tensorflow version 2.10.0 on Win 10.

“This model won’t run on MCUs. Verifying model failed with code -6 and no error message”.

Peak memory of this model is less than 56kB so this should not be an issue.

Regards,
Susanne

Hi Susanne,

Thanks for your reply. Since the original training data is float32 it sounds likely that something is going wrong during the quantization process.

Edge Impulse should be able to do the quantization for you if you provide a numpy array with representative data (a few dozen samples of your training data that cover the range of values you’re expecting to see in normal use). There’s instructions on how to do this in our SDK here, in the “Quantization” section:

The items in the array should have the same shape as the input tensor of your model.

I recommend giving this a try: it should at least help us understand if the issue is with the quantization code.

Warmly,
Dan

@subrockmann The model is hitting an assert when preparing the softmax kernel as it takes the wrong code path. Will debug.

update #1: So the interesting bit is that this hits an assert in both latest TFLM and in TensorFlow Lite w/ reference kernels (but not w/ optimized kernels). It hits PreprocessSoftmaxScaling, then goes to QuantizeMultiplierGreaterThanOne but input_beta_real_multiplier is <1 so it asserts (assertion is for >1.0f).

@subrockmann every example image that I throw through your model yields [0, 0] (raw output) / [0.5, 0.5] (after dequantization) as probabilities when running the model in TensorFlow 2.11 (via Python, both your f32 and i8 version); do you have an example input that yields something else so I can verify that any change we make in our SDK is actually correct? You can either add it to the project or email me directly at jan@edgeimpulse.com

I’ll also open up a PR against TensorFlow once we have this fixed.

Hi @janjongboom,

I have sent you the trained models and some test data via email.

test_gen =  tf.keras.preprocessing.image.ImageDataGenerator(rescale=1. / 255)

test_generator = test_gen.flow_from_directory(
    BASE_DIR_TEST,
    target_size=(img_height, img_width),
    batch_size=BATCH_SIZE, 
    color_mode=color_mode,
    subset='validation',
    class_mode="sparse")

Regards,
Susanne