Bluetooth sensors connected to Phone

Howdy Jan and amazing Edge Impulse Team.

The more I learn about your system, the more I’m totally blown away by the sheer awesomeness of what you guys are able to do with this magic. Using the phone as a sensor device makes so much sense and I’m having fun with it. I’m working on a health wearable app/device and would love to be able to use my Bluetooth HRV/ Sp02,Temp,ECG sensor that’s connected to my phone. Is this possible?

Also can you recommend models to work with Biosensors. Would be amazing to have an example for biosensors as there are so many Fitbit and apple watch users tracking health data.

Cheers, and loving using Edge Impulse.

Hey @BlueLotus, thanks a lot! Yeah, you should be able to get external peripherals to work if you connect the sensors of BLE. The big question though is whether you’ll be able to get data from the sensors that is high-resolution enough. E.g. typical PPG output for HRV is 125Hz or higher, and not sure if you can get the raw waveform from a device with the available bandwidth or without draining the battery.

Also can you recommend models to work with Biosensors. Would be amazing to have an example for biosensors as there are so many Fitbit and apple watch users tracking health data.

We don’t have any community blocks for this, but - if you can get raw data from your Fitbit, you can’t from an Apple Watch - you can look at adding a custom DSP block that extracts features from biosignals. E.g. take some raw PPG waveforms, extract the features through hrv-analysis then pair with a small fully-connected network to see how far you go. Should be very quick to set up.

We have customers in wearable health tech, but naturally their algorithms are proprietary :slight_smile:

you should be able to get external peripherals to work if you connect the sensors of BLE

I would like to get clarification because I’m not sure that my question was clear. So here is the scenario.

1. Blue tooth sensor is paired via Bluetooth to phone.
  2. Phone is connected to Edge Impulse
    Question: Can Edge Impulse system automatically detect the Bluetooth sensor that was paired with the phone?

We don’t have any community blocks for this

Would be great to have a basic example of biosensing data analysis and suggestions of the type of network that would be good to start with

@BlueLotus

I would like to get clarification because I’m not sure that my question was clear. So here is the scenario.

Not automatically, you’ll need to write some code to get the data over BLE and send it to the ingestion service. Unfortunately this is very specific to the actual sensor being used. You could use e.g. the nRF Connect app to see if you can even see the raw data from your sensors.

Would be great to have a basic example of biosensing data analysis and suggestions of the type of network that would be good to start with

Yeah, it’s though because there’s no good development boards for this. E.g. here I did some experiments on heart rate monitoring using the MAXREFDES117 sensor, but that requires you to solder 8 wires and hook them up and then also place it very specifically against your finger. Not a good developer experience.

The hrv analysis package I sent earlier has some things already that are normal in PPG analysis (e.g. bandpass filter to denoise, then looking at frequency components). Probably pairing it with a simple fully connected network (add 2 or 3 Dense layers with e.g. 30x20x10 neurons) will yield OK results. But it requires a bit of toying around.