"Failed to get info..." timeout with ESP32

Hi, I know this issue has been posted before for other boards (possibly even for the ESP32 but I couldn’t find one…) But I’m attempting to connect to the board via edge-impulse-daemon but facing the following issue:

[SER] Connecting to /dev/ttyUSB0
[SER] Serial is connected, trying to read config...
[SER] Failed to get info off device Timeout when waiting for >  (timeout: 5000) onConnected
  • Note that I have flashed the relevant firmware with the following output:
Checking Python dependencies...
Checking Python dependencies OK

Flashing board... 

esptool.py v4.1
Found 2 serial ports
Serial port /dev/ttyUSB0
Connecting.......
Detecting chip type... Unsupported detection protocol, switching and trying again...
Connecting....
Detecting chip type... ESP32
Chip is ESP32-D0WDQ6 (revision 1)
Features: WiFi, BT, Dual Core, 240MHz, VRef calibration in efuse, Coding Scheme None
Crystal is 40MHz
MAC: 0c:b8:15:f6:b1:10
Uploading stub...
Running stub...
Stub running...
Changing baud rate to 460800
Changed.
Configuring flash size...
Flash will be erased from 0x00000000 to 0x000bdfff...
Compressed 776240 bytes to 405359...
Wrote 776240 bytes (405359 compressed) at 0x00000000 in 10.0 seconds (effective 621.0 kbit/s)...
Hash of data verified.

Leaving...
Hard resetting via RTS pin...

Flashed your ESP32 development board.
To set up your development with Edge Impulse, run 'edge-impulse-daemon'
To run your impulse on your development board, run 'edge-impulse-run-impulse'

I have tried running with --clean but no change. It is definitely not a USB cable issue. Is there some sort of bootloader mode I have to enter or something?

Edit: Running Ubuntu 20.04 from a Raspberry Pi
Also, sometimes I get this slightly different error:

[SER] Connecting to /dev/ttyUSB0
[SER] Serial is connected, trying to read config...
[SER] Failed to get info off device Timeout when waiting for >  (timeout: 2000) AT+CONFIG?

Which ESP32 board are you using? Can you connect to it from other MacOS/Ubuntu computer?

I’m using the board linked below.

I tried this also with my laptop running Linux Mint (Ubuntu basically I think) and I saw the same result.

Oookay, this is not really one of our supported boards. We have tried our firmware with AI Thinker ESP-CAM module and it worked successfully. This is a different module it seems, with built-in serial converter.
What if you try connecting to the board with other serial tools? Minicom or Arduino IDE serial monitor? Then send some AT commands

Hello @avielbr,

Can you try to flash that firmware, I recompiled it for the AI Thinker. I have the same board so it should work.

Let me know.

Best,

Louis

Louie, wow – thank you!! I’m abroad and I left the board at home, but I’ll test once I return.

1 Like

Hi @louis,

I was finally able to check this with my own AI Thinker: I’m able to successfully flash the firmware but seeing

[SER] Connecting to /dev/ttyUSB0 [SER] Serial is connected, trying to read config... [SER] Failed to get info off device Timeout when waiting for > (timeout: 5000) onConnected

when running edge-impulse-daemon. I saw the bit about changing the baud rate to 115200 here but I imagine this change is already baked into the prebuilt firmware you linked in your response? Thanks

Edit: Also tried overriding the baud rate to 115200 and 460800 with the --baud-rate X flag. No change there.

Will try to build the firmware myself when I get home from work and report back.

Still having the same issues even after building myself with the required changes. I bought an ESP-EYE which was able to connect with no problem so maybe I’ll just move forward with that from now :slight_smile:

Hello @avielbr,

Just saw this suggestion from @jamstooks.
Could you try it?

idf.py -p /dev/tty.usbserial-1430 -b 115200 flash

Louis

I’ll give it a shot, thanks. I had read the the default is 115200 so I didn’t think it was necessary.